By Elke Coenders, staff writer and Social Media editor.

Centre students just experienced their first post-COVID, relatively normal summer break, and they have been busy. They filled their summers with studying abroad and research, globe-trotting and visiting home, working and volunteering, training and relaxing—and most importantly, having fun. Here are a few of their action-packed summers to vicariously live through as we plunge into the winter.

***

Levi Chandler

“My favorite experience of my first normal summer in a couple of years was traveling through Europe on a study abroad trip. Along with Dr. Petkus, other Centre students, and students from across Kentucky, I got to see some of the most incredible natural beauties of Europe. On my travels, I hiked in the Alps, visited Nice and Monaco, and enjoyed the largest open-air music festival in the world in Vienna. I lived with an Austrian host family and felt that I was truly immersed in the local culture. This was an exceptional experience open to me because of the great study abroad programs available to Centre students. It was a summer I will never forget!”

Diana Martinez

This summer was full of new experiences and perseverance. I loved visiting places like Rock City in Georgia and Red Bluff in Mississippi with my family, and I especially loved viewing Hamilton and exploring several museums in my home, New Orleans. What was my favorite part of summer? I absolutely loved meeting new faces this summer! I spent two weeks at Mississippi State in June as part of the Delta Scholars Program, where I was able to meet 16 amazing students from all over the U.S.”

“I also spent three weeks in the Adirondack Mountains of New York in July and August doing volunteer work. The Adirondacks tested my limits and every day, I thought I wouldn’t make it. Thankfully, I was in a group of seven others who were incredibly supportive and patient. Throughout these experiences, I learned a lot about communication and its importance, especially when I am (quite literally) depending on people in order to live.”

Another experience I’m really thankful to have had was getting to see Niagara Falls. Its sheer power and magnitude were astounding!

Uri Medellin

“A trip to the past! This summer, I attended “The Queen’s Ball: A Bridgerton Experience.” Bridgerton is a popular Netflix series full of historical romance and intrigue, set in Victorian-era London. During this experience, I was able to present myself to “Her Majesty,” dance to original music from the show, and investigate the identity of Lady Whistledown. Although the experience was only about an hour and a half long, it was incredible seeing everyone else dress up for the occasion. The best part of the Ball—apart from all the merch—was when one of the performers asked for my hand to dance in front of everyone. It was nerve-racking but exciting to be immersed in the world of Bridgerton, especially as a film minor. I truly believed that I was a part of my favorite TV show.”

Mary Gonzalez

“I spent the latter half of my summer on campus doing biology research with my professor. It was my first time being able to partake in research with any faculty and I was excited! I spent much of my time in and out of the lab working and preparing for my presentation, where I would show other research students and professors my findings on Scleral Ring Formation, how cavefish morphs inherit a ring of bone around their eye across different generations. While some may find it rather dull, I liked the routine and enjoyed having an area where I could work at my own pace and listen to my favorite tunes! Researching was the most significant part of my summer and I was very grateful for the opportunity. I also spent some time exploring downtown Danville. I loved going to the farmers market and picking some fresh flowers or sourdough bread! Finally, a stop by the Hub or Starbucks after lab definitely made the day even more enjoyable.”

Louis Okon

“I chose to live this summer. Every destination had a different pace, different energy, different vibe.

Costa Rica reminded me of home in a few ways: agonizing humidity, unending rain, and outwardly happy people. Pura Vida, “pure life,” is how people live, one relaxed task at a time. At the clinic where I volunteered, we had hour-long lunch breaks! By 2 p.m., there was not much left to do, but occasionally, strange things would happen, like a crab walking around the clinic. We were at least an hour away from any body of water. When we did go out to the water, I naturally acted as a touristy voluntourist and took dapper photos for the Gram in the Pacific. As a reward for my excellent judgment, Mother Ocean stripped me of my phone and sunglasses. Be wise, friends.”

“Away from the ocean and now by a lake at Dartmouth’s Tuck School of Business, my middle-of-summer 10 a.m. Sunday classes reoriented me to American living. While these oddly-timed classes were enjoyable, I questioned why people are expected to work on weekends, why the lunch breaks are shorter, and why life happens so quickly in America. On the other hand, having to do work all the time made leisure and rest something to look forward to. When all the work was said and done, I lived. I made meaningful and perhaps life-long friendships, had fun, and was happy. So life is fast-paced and different in the US, but still, life here allows me to do what is important and fully relish the moments I have.”

“Well, school’s back and it’s the U.S., so let’s get back to the grind, shall we? Grind, but look forward to and make out time to live.”

***

Centre students took the summer not only as an invitation but as a challenge to explore the unknown and savor the known. There is a new zest with which we are experiencing the world after being deprived of it for so long. Though the summer is over, we will take our new post-pandemic lease on life into fall, winter, spring, next summer—and far into the future.