Moodle Forums are a great way to allow students to interact with one another as well as with the instructor.
Students can exchange ideas by posting comments and engaging in discussions with classmates. Students can also respond to ideas posted by the instructor.
Creating a Forum
1. To create a Forum Activity, first turn on editing by clicking the Turn editing on button in the upper right corner.
2. A series of “Add an activity or resource” drop down menus will appear. Click one of the drop down menus and click Forum.
3. Give the forum a name, description (introduction), and select the forum type.
4. Attachments and word count
- Default attachment size is 500KB.
- Determine the Maximum number of attachments (if none, set to 0)
- Determine if you want students to see a word count.
5. Select subscription mode:
- Optional – Participants can choose whether to be subscribed
- Forced – Everyone is subscribed and cannot unsubscribe (This should be the default for most)
- Auto – Everyone is subscribed initially but can unsubscribe at any time
- Disabled – Subscriptions are not allowed.
5. Browse and modify any additional settings as desired.
- Note possibility to set thresholds for blocking posts
- Note ability to allow students to rate peer entries
6. Once finished, click Save and return to course.
Using a Discussion Forum
Creating a new topic
1. First, go to the forum by clicking the forum’s name on your course homepage.
2. Add a new topic by click the Add a new discussion topic button below the forum’s description.
3. Give the topic a name in the “Subject” field and type the topic in the “Message” field.
4. If desired, you can attach a file or image to the post. You will be able to modify the post for 15 minutes after you save it, and a notification is emailed to subscribed users. Checking the “Mail now” box will immediately send this email notification. Once finished, click the Post to forum button at the bottom of the page.
5. The discussion thread will be listed.
Posting a comment to a topic
2. To post a comment, click the Reply link in the topic. You can also reply to other posts. Forums will display posts in nested form by default.
3. Type the comment text in the “Message” field. The reply will automatically be given a subject.
4. Once finished, click the Post to forum button at the bottom of the page.
Grading forum posts
1. Grading in a forum can be enabled by selecting an “Aggregate type” and “Grade” scale in the forum’s settings page.
3. When you have finished giving ratings to posts within a topic, the student’s total grade for the forum will automatically be calculated from the ratings of all his/her posts according to the aggregation in the forum’s settings.