Adding a Database Activity
1. Log in and go to your course; click Turn editing on in the upper right corner of the screen.
2. A series of “Add an activity or resource” drop down menus will appear. Click one of the [Add an activity or resource] drop down menus and click Database.
3. Add a Name and Description to the Database.
4. Expand the Entries menu.
5. Choose options for this assignment:
- Whether instructor approval is required prior to student post being visible to others.
- Whether or not to allow students to comment on one another’s posts
- How many entries each student needs to submit to be considered complete
- How many entries are required for submission to view other students’ posts.
- Maximum number of entries allowed.
6. Scroll down and click Save and display to begin setting up the database.
7. The screen you will see is the Fields setup screen. ( To add the Poodll plugin as a Field type, See Poodll Database Submissions)
8. The first thing you will do is to click on the drop-down menu in the middle of the page to create a new field. Choose the first item you would like students to input when uploading a file.
Often, the Date field or Text field are chosen as the first field. I chose Date for the first field.
9. Give the field a name and click the Add button
10. You will see the field listed on the next page.
11. Repeat the process with additionally desired fields such as File or Picture. I’m choosing File.
13. Now you’ll see two fields, the Date and File, which students will see when they go to upload a file.
14. Click the Templates tab and click save template to lock in the template. (If you make any additional changes to your template, you’ll need to do this again.)
(You should double check templates for Add Entry, View List, and View Single)
15. Click the Add Entry tab to see what the template will look like for students.