Centrenauts Game Demo

Fellow Classmates,

As the end of CentreTerm approaches us, we had our game demo today in class. We got the chance to check out the other group’s game.  We also got the chance to show everyone else in the class our game that we have been working on for a while. We also got our part in the group presentation assigned tonight, so that we were prepared for the presentation tomorrow.

We had fun testing out the other groups games today in class. I really enjoyed how each group made a good game out of twine. The reason our group didn’t pick twine as a software for our game was because we thought it would be boring to play. It turned out to be really fun to play both of the groups games. The idea of just reading words and making choices seemed boring to me, but it turned out to be fun.

Our group also had to show other group members how to play our game when they got to our station. We explained most of the dialogue and how the goal of the game relates to the dialogue. After we explained how to play the game, people seemed to like the game and how it played out. My guess is that we had used RPG maker for the software of our game, and was the only group to do it so everyone wanted to see how it turned out. For the most part though, I thought game demo day was a good day to see how our game would do in the fun compartment.

All in all, the Centrenauts had a successful day today. After trying every game out as everyone knows, we played smash bros and had a blast.

Centrenauts Update

Hello fellow classmates! Our group has been working hard on the final project. My group met today, unfortunately I had work so I could not make it, but I did some research on my own. We have made a lot of progress on the game. I have been busy mapping the game while Alex has been busy with the dialogue. We have encountered some minor setbacks in the RPG software, but Alex and I have been coming up with solutions for these bugs. We will continue to work on the game and should finish the mapping by the end of the week. In addition, we have more dialogue to put in the game which will be part of the finalization when we had the final touches.

 

In the previous meeting before today, we appointed each group member a portion of the portfolio to work on. Even though we each have an individual part of the portfolio, we will still come together to revise each others work to put in the finalized portfolio. This will ensure the portfolio flows and satisfies the group. The conclusion, on the other hand, will be a group effort so we can each have our inputs on the takeaways we got from researching and making the game. As of now, I know that each of the group members are working on their part of the portfolio. That being said, our portfolio should be done a day or two before the group presentation.

 

For my part of the portfolio, I am in charge of the historical research being undertaken for the project as a whole. We have all done a lot of research, and created a Google Doc that each group member can see and edit. From the Google Doc, I can tell that our group takes the research very seriously which I like because that means they are taking the project seriously as well. For the research done, most of it came from books provided by the library. To our surprise, there was a lot of books on World War II spies which helped with our project. I am very excited to write about our research that we have done because I have grown more interested in our topic the more I read about it.

Centrenauts and game progress

Today in class, the centrenauts discussed how we wanted to format the game and how we were going to the narrative. We ultimately came to the conclusion to add different options for the player to pick when in a discussion with a NPC in the game. We also started doing more research on the game Wolfenstein which has some points that we would like to put in our game. Each choice has a different outcome and can affect how the finale of the game turns out. Rachel came up with a really cool idea that we hope we can implement in the game. The idea is to give each choice a color to the font to give it a significant value. For example if the choice is a bad one it would be in red, if it was a good choice to pick the color of the font would be blue, and finally if the choice was a neutral choice meaning it isn’t good or bad then it would be green.

The Centrenauts are also researching much more about our topic the more we find out about it. When we first went to the library to find books about spies in World War 2, we were expecting to struggle to find any. It was the opposite, we found many books about it and we actually found the books very interesting. I know myself and a couple other group members have checked out more books to do research on.

Today in class our group also started the mapping for our game. We finally understood how to map on rpg maker after watching many tutorials on online. It was a struggle to finally get comfortable with the software but I think it will be well worth it, and even then we still haven’t learned everything about rpg maker just the basic things to make a game. The reason we decided to choose Wolfenstein as the game we would research to help us with our game was that Wolfenstein has the dark and moody architecture that our game will use. Wolfenstein also is based in a post world war 2 era were the nazis come out as champions. We want to research more about this to give us a idea on how to make the choices we make impact the game in the end.