Today was a very productive day for our team. In class, Nick continued working on the design document and started describing how we used and researched our sources. We have really pulled together some great documents to back up our storyline and he is working hard to define what that process looked like for us. Luke H. and Brenna made some great progress in the development of our game on twine, developing multiple new story lines and adding onto pre existing ones. It has been really unique to watch how as new ideas develop, we get more ideas for additional research. As for Cole and me, we continue to work on the historical aspect of our game, working on papers and finding new sources to use. The chemistry on our team works very well because everyone is engaged and respectful of everyone else, while not being afraid to speak out on how they feel on certain aspects of the game.
Today specifically, I started thinking about how to write the historical context challenges paper. At first glance, I thought the paper would be easy, but I then realized the promt was asking not just for basic challenges, but real moral and social challenges that our team has faced. As a team we discussed what some of these challenges might be, and Luke H. said something very interesting that I think will be a great topic to discuss in our paper. He told me about how when Brenna and he were developing the game, they weren’t sure how defined they wanted to make the character. We didn’t want to give a race, age, or any other details so that we could leave this aspect to the players imagination, giving the game a more immersive presence. However, everyone in the group did refer to the character as “he” during the process of making it, which seemed normal until Luke pointed something out: the majority of teachers are female. This then caused me to pause and wonder why we had associated the player with a male identity, but Luke had the answer to that too. Because the character was being sent to war, and we very rarely associate war with female soldiers, everyone automatically started saying he. This then caused me to realize how historically, this created a challenge for our game. A big part of our game is the fact that our teacher is being punished with a tour of war, which as I said earlier, is largely associated with men. The 1960’s was also a more traditional time, so the likelyhood of women being sentenced to war would have been extremely absurd, even to the amped up McCarthy society we created. The challenge for us now we have a situation in which a good amount of players will associate the character as a male, even though we never defined his identity to the player.
In future class periods, my team will discuss this issue and decide how we want to adress it. The game is coming along suprisingly well, as well as the time left in this class is falling suprisingly fast. Well folks, thats all the writing I have for this week, I look forward to writing to you again soon.