Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

Recently, my roommate and I decided to go see the new Jumanji movie to see if did the 1995, Robin Williams classic prequel. Not only was it a great movie and one of the better movies I’ve seen in the past year, but it was also based around a video game. For those who haven’t seen the original, first, watch the original because you’re missing out on one of Robin Williams great performances. Second, the idea behind the movie is that a board game named Jumanji, based around journeying through the jungle, comes to life in the real world, and the only way to end the madness is to beat the game. Well, in the newer edition, the Jumanji players are sucked into the video game, and take the role of their selected video game characters. I believe that the movie is not only entertaining, but it makes a serious underlying point. Video games bring together people that would otherwise never talk to each other. The four high school students sucked into the game were a nerdy, timid guy with little self-confidence, an IG model with no awareness of her surroundings, an education buff who rarely enjoys herself, and a jock with no regard for his grades. They all have obvious differences, but when sucked into the game and forced to take on their video game strengths, they work together to solve their shared dilemma. This dynamic isn’t just seen in the movie, though. For me, I see it consistently. Being in a fraternity with a very diverse group of brothers, one common attribute stands out: everybody fucking loves video games. Whether you like adventure, multiplayer, sports, or strategy games, there is a video game for every type of person, and when forced to come up with a group solution to a single problem, camaraderie is built. Outsiders view video games as nerdy, lazy, and unnecessary, but those of that have played it know that it means much more.